PROVISIONS OF THE 6th INTERNATIONAL BALTIC SEA CHOIR COMPETITION
September 22-24, 2023 in Jūrmala, Latvia
1. PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION
- The International Baltic Sea Choir Competition invites mixed, female, male and youth/children (age 7-17) amateur choirs (16-49 signers).
- Only amateur choirs may participate at the competition.
- After evaluation of choir submissions, maximum of 15 (fifteen) choirs will be accepted for the competition.
- Choirs awarded with the Grand Prix prize in any of the previous International Baltic Sea Choir Competitions cannot take part at the competition for the following 3 (three) years.
- Choirs are obliged to participate in the competition’s Opening concert and both competition programs, as well as they should be ready to perform at Grand Prix final.
- Participants will be evaluated by an international jury comprising of 5 members -choir music professionals. There will be 1 Latvian and 4 foreign representatives.
- The Jury evaluates each choir's performance in 4 qualities.
3. Degree of complexity of the program;
4. Overall impression.
Each quality is evaluated giving points from 1- 25, summing up maximum 100 points. The final number of points is calculated as the average of all Jury evaluations, excluding the highest and lowest points.
- After performances of compositions at the compulsory and free program categories, the Jury will establish at least 5 choirs to compete in Grand Prix. The choirs for Grand Prix will be evaluated independently of the results of the previous stages.
- All results, including those of Grand Prix, will be announced during the closing ceremony on Sunday. The decision of the jury is final and cannot be contested.
- All choirs will receive an evaluation from each of the Jury member for their performance of the competition programs.
- A fully filled-in application form;
- A record of at least 3 a cappella compositions of various styles sung by the choir (as a CD, DVD, or a link on YouTube. The records cannot be made before 2020);
- A short description of the choir in English (max. 250 words);
- A quality photo of the choir;
- Legal info of the payer for the participation fee (company name, registration number, legal address, bank name, bank account).
- The choirs accepted for the competition must approve their participation by paying a participation fee in the amount of 300 EUR by May 15, 2023, and a fee in the amount of 25 EUR for each participating person by August 15, 2023, after receiving an invoice issued by the organizer.
- By September 1, 2023, the choirs accepted for participation in the competition, are obliged to send 6 (six) original copies of sheet music of all compositions for the needs of the jury and for a competition’s archive. (5 copies of each sheet of music will be returned after the competition). The duplicates of the sheet music may be used only with the written permission of a publisher or composer.
The address for sending the scores:
Baltic Choir Association SIA | Līga Štrausa
Jūrmalas 31, Piņķi, Babītes pagasts, Mārupes novads
- The participants will be provided with meals during the competition days – on Friday (late lunch), on Saturday (lunch and dinner), and on Sunday (lunch after the Award ceremony at the after-party).
- Accommodation and travel expenses are covered by each choir. The competition’s organizer will provide special hotel offers made exclusively for participants. The choirs may search for accommodation by themselves, however, it is mandatory that the place of accommodation is in Jūrmala. For more convenient mobility options during the competition, we recommend accommodation in walking distance from the venue of the competition, Dzintari Concert Hall.
- All rights to audio and video records and photos made during the competition are owned by the competition’s organizer. The choirs will not be remunerated for the recording of their performance.
- Participants of the competition approve that they are aware of the competition’s provisions when sending the application form.
2. PROGRAMS OF THE COMPETITION
Within the 6th International Baltic Sea Choir Competition, there will be an Opening concert (the choirs will not be evaluated) and three competition stages.
All programs of the competition should be performed following the indicated sequence in the application form.
2.1 OPENING CONCERT at Dubulti Church
Participation in the Opening concert is obligatory.
- For the opening concert, each choir should present their country-specific program not exceeding 5 minutes. When choosing repertoire, it should be noted that the opening concert will take place at church.
- Compositions of the opening concert may not be included in the competition’s stages.
- Piano and other music instruments are not available at the Opening concert Venue.
2.2 COMPULSORY PROGRAM
- Compulsory compositionof the competition. Sheet music of the composition will be available after May 15, 2023 (if the participation fee is received).
- A composition from the Romantic period of choir’s own choice.
- A composition, written after 2000, of choir’s own choice.
- A folk song of the participating choir’s country, in unison.
Length of the compulsory program: 12-15 minutes of pure music (in case of not observing the time limit, the jury may grant penalty points), and the program should be performed a cappella.
2.3 FREE PROGRAM
The free program should include at least 2 (two) compositions.
- The choirs may not repeat the compositions from the compulsory program.
- There may be an instrumental accompaniment to one composition of the free program. (A piano will be available at the venue. Other musical instruments will not be provided.)
Length of the free program: 8-10 minutes of pure music (in case of not observing the time limit, the jury may grant penalty points).
2.4 GRAND PRIX
- The program of Grand Prix must include 3 compositions.
- Only one composition may be repeated from the compulsory or free program.
- In one composition of the Grand Prix program, both pitched and unpitched musical instruments may be used, while piano in this category may not be used.
Length of Grand Prix competition: 10-12 minutes of pure music (in case of not observing the time limit, the jury may grant penalty points).
- Participants achieving 3 highest results in the Grand Prix category will be awarded monetary prizes:
- 1stplace — winner of Grand Prix — 3500 EUR and a winners’ cup
- 2ndplace — 2000 EUR
- 3rdplace — 1000 EUR
- All choirs will receive a diploma for their participation in the 5th International Baltic Sea Choir Competition.
- ADDITIONAL AWARDS:
- Best conductor’s prize — 500 EUR
- Best performance of the compulsory composition — 250 EUR
- Best youth/children choir – 1000 EUR (in case there are more than three youth/children choirs participating and it has not been awarded 1st, 2nd or 3rd place at the competition).
- Audience Award
- The Jury may decide on their special prizes:
- The most attractive performance;
- The best performance of the folk song in unison.
Latvian and English are the official languages at the competition.
The competition organizer retains the right to alter the rules of the competition in the case of unexpected major changes. In such cases, it must give written notice to all participating choirs.